Alice Birney is a school without neighborhood boundaries, meaning that all students enter through the Sacramento City Unified School District Open Enrollment process. This allows diverse students from throughout all Sacramento city neighborhoods the opportunity to attend a tuition-free Waldorf school. The school district sets a date when parents must register students online through the district site (scusd.edu) or by walk-in at Open Enrollment Center (5735 47th Avenue). All specifics around the Open Enrollment process are available on the district web site.
Because our school curriculum and methods of teaching are unique, in addition to participating in the district Open Enrollment process, Alice Birney has criteria that needs to be met to be included in the district lottery.
- Schedule and participate in a school visitation
Due to COVID-19, visitations may be virtual or hybrid this school year. Visitations are for adults only. Call the school office at 916-395-4510 or register here to schedule participation on one of the following dates:
Thursday, October 20, 2022 – 9:15am
Thursday, November 17, 2022 – 9:15am
Thursday, December 15, 2022 – 9:15am
Thursday, January 19, 2023 – 9:15am
You will need to provide your name, your child’s name, the grade you are interested in, your child’s DOB, your phone number, and your email address. An Alice Birney Visitation is a Mandatory Prerequisite Before Enrollment
- Complete an interest form after the visitation
– A copy of the most recent report card and assessment scores will be collected
– Incoming students are expected to have excellent attendance, positive behavior and a strong academic history
- Complete the SCUSD Open Enrollment application during the time frame offered by the district in February 2023 (specific dates TBD). Once district registration AND the Alice Birney criteria are met, the child can be entered into the lottery.
- Families will be notified by mail or email if their child has been chosen by lottery
- Enrollment at Alice Birney is not complete until registration occurs at the site level. Specific dates and times will be communicated for registration at the school.
Please note that although siblings living in district boundaries have priority in lottery placement, participation in the district Open Enrollment process is required for attending Alice Birney.
UPDATED EK AGE REQUIREMENTS:
Due to recent legislation, the enrollment age requirement for EK/TK/UPK students is being expanded to include younger students over a 3-4 year period. For now, this will begin with the 22/23 school year with an enrollment window for students turning age 5 from September 2nd through February 2nd. This increases a 2- month window for T K enrollment that has been cut off by December 2nd in the past years. These enrollment date changes will continue in successive years to include all four year old students as the end point.