The participation of ALL parents is essential for Alice Birney to provide the many opportunities and activities for students that make the school unique, and students successful. An important aspect of our education is that children see parents and teachers working together in the classroom, the gardens, at school festivals and in the home. Children learn directly the value of group cooperation, dedication, problem-solving and hard work. School staff and parents work together to be worthy of imitation and to set the example for children to follow. Parent participation develops and maintains a naturally beautiful environment for the children inside and outside of the school.
Parent participation is not limited to being present on campus. There are several ways that parents can be involved: laundering rags, making telephone calls or sending emails, helping to plan and organize field trips, soliciting donations of funds or materials, building, gardening, and much more. If you are struggling with how to be involved, please speak with a teacher. They always have wonderful opportunities and ideas.
Interested in volunteering on campus/field trips?
ALL steps must be completed:
- Complete the yearly Volunteer Packet.
- Complete fingerprinting at an approved LiveScan location
a. Must bring completed LiveScan Form
b. Fees apply, $47 + rolling fee, which varies by location
If you have already done this in the past with SCUSD, you do not need to complete this process again. Fingerprinting with other organizations/districts/jobs do not qualify.
- Provide TB clearance (results within 60 days of submitting packet/good for 4 years)
If you have questions about the date of your TB clearance, please email Sophiaemail@example.com
- Complete Volunteer Training (Mandated Reporter) and save the certificate of completion.
You MUST participate in the SCUSD Volunteer Training BEFORE you can volunteer. No exceptions will be made.
- Submit packet, completed LiveScan form, Immunization Record/TB test results, and Mandated Reporter Certificate of Completion via email or bring to the Alice Birney office between 7:45am and 3:30pm. If you choose to drop off at school, please do not park in staff lot.
- Provide COVID Vaccination status or proof of weekly testing with a negative result and entry into the SCUSD data system here.
- Once background check report is received, SCUSD HR Department will contact school with permission to begin volunteer service.
Field Trip Drivers (Grades 4-8) require additional steps:
Submit the following via email or bring to the Alice Birney office between 7:45am and 3:30pm. If you choose to drop off at school, please do not park in staff lot.
- Complete Release of Driver Record Information Form
This form needs to be completed each school year. The DMV will not accept paperwork where your name does not match your driver’s license exactly.
- Copy of valid driver license
- Copy of auto insurance Declarations Page
Please note that it MUST say ‘Declarations Page’ on the insurance paperwork. Coverage dates MUST cover the day of the field trip. The car you are driving MUST be listed on your insurance ‘Declarations Page’ and any forms you have filled out.
- Personal Auto Use Form
SCUSD Volunteer Page – Vaccination Requirement Page
Other ways to support your child’s education at Alice Birney via the Guild:
The participation of ALL parents is essential for Alice Birney School to provide the many opportunities and activities for students that make the school unique and students successful.
We ask each parent to volunteer for three things during each school year. If everyone would help with three things, we would have the support needed for EVERYTHING at our school. There are HUNDREDS of opportunities at our school. Some can be done from home, some can be done on your own time, some are larger in scope and require more commitment and time. The thing to remember is that no matter what your schedule, there are three things you can do for your community. Studies have shown there is a great benefit to children who have parents that are actively involved in school. Let us help you find the three ways that you can help. Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or talk with your teacher if you have any questions about how to get involved.
Attend Guild Meetings
Guild meetings are held five times a year. Please refer to the calendar for specific dates. All Guild meetings are open to all members of the school community. Please join us to learn how the Guild supports our programs and school events.
Volunteer to be a Guild Class Parent Representative
It is mandatory for each class to have one parent representative. The Parent Representative will attend Guild meetings to report on class events, receive information and then share gathered information with the class via email, hardcopy, and/or at parent class meetings. In addition, parent representatives will help with and attend fundraisers, festivals, assist at mandatory meetings, and participate in Annual Giving Week. They should also act as a buddy or mentor to any new families joining the classroom. Choose your parent representative carefully and look for commitment, good communication skills, and leadership qualities.
2022-2023 Special Requests
Please email email@example.com if you’re able to assist with any of the following projects:
- Parking lot attendants/crossing guards (must have full volunteer clearance completed!)
- Lunch/recess duty volunteers (must have full volunteer clearance completed!)
- Dump runs (Got a truck? We need your help!)